Sad to say I have forgotten a lot of what I have learned in school. To get through the test I would practice the definition of the words until they were in my short-term memory and then after the test all of that information would disappear. I had perceived knowledge I did not obtain knowledge.
To obtain knowledge you must feel the idea. This is why people don’t forget how to ride a bike.
I bring this up to help parents teach discipline, focus and all other character traits. If you try to explain the definition you are trying to get them to perceive knowledge. Worse if you yell at them when they fail to show discipline you re-inforce the feeling of ‘not being disciplined’.
To feel the Character Trait follow these 3 steps
- Identify the character trait and define it.
- “Samuel, I want to talk to you about self-discipline. Self-discipline means you can do things all by yourself.”
- Explain the behavior you want to see
- “After you take off your shoes put them in the closet with your hands, when done correctly your shoes will look like this.”
- Catch them doing it.
- “Excellent, thanks for putting your shoes away correctly. You have great self-discipline.”
You may ask… Shouldn’t they know how to do this? Isn’t it common sense?
If the shoes are put away properly then self-discipline is common sense for them.
If not Competitive Edge can help.